It’s going to be a summer of riches if you’re a fan of videos and case studies. Last time, we talked a bit about what Packsize is doing for EJ Victor. This week, we’ll be focusing on a different furniture company.
Flexsteel has been making furniture for over 120 years now. They mainly provide furniture to commercial buildings, such as hospitals, hotels, and government buildings. Providing furniture to these types of buildings often means shipping dozens or even hundreds of pieces to the same location.
That means that empty packaging space can quickly lead to a vicious and costly cycle. Here’s how that cycle works:
- A box takes up more space in the truck than it needs to.
- This means more trucks are needed to deliver the furniture, increasing shipping rates.
- While in transit, large pieces of furniture may rattle and jostle inside their spacious boxes, leading to damaged goods.
- Damaged goods are sent back to the warehouse and a replacement is shipped out. This means paying for shipping three times and a product twice.
In order to counteract this problem, Flexsteel kept a massive box inventory, but they quickly found that no matter how many box sizes they had, they simply couldn’t remove the empty space they had (read this free white paper to learn more about the math behind this).
This is where Packsize comes in. Since Flexsteel now makes a custom box for every product, Flexsteel has been able to eliminate 90% of their box inventory! The remaining 10% is used by our machine and z-Fold™.
Here are some other key takeaways from the video:
- Flexsteel has been able to get 33% more products on the truck. In some cases, up to 50% more.
- 30-40% of their damages have been eliminated thanks to the removal of the empty space from their boxes.
- Check out those snazzy space saving boxes they’re using for their chairs:
We like to call them Utah boxes (since it’s where our headquarters is located), but a more technical term for it is form-fitted.
Packsize’s machines can produce any size box for any product you need. We can package anything from a golf ball to a golf cart.
If you would like to learn more about why On Demand Packaging® and box making machines are the way to go, read that white paper I alluded to earlier. It’s called The Smallest Possible Box, and it’s fantastic.